A couple questions (not directly related to this week's study): What is your understanding of the timing of the 144,000? And in Rev. 16:19, what makes you conclude that the great city that is split in three parts is Jerusalem and not Babylon? I think you explained this, but I missed it (thanks Asher). I've got an inkling, but I'd like to see your reasoning.
Hi Cat! How about I try to answer your last question first?
The only way I knew how to determine which city is actually being referred to in Rev 16:19 was to look up every occurrence of the word "city" and the phrase "great city" and "the great city" throughout the Bible, and also take into consideration their context. You might remember the class session when I took everyone through this process and the narrowing down of this term from Genesis to Revelation.
The short version is:
Jerusalem is identified as "the great city" in Rev 11:8 and Babylon is referred to as "that great city" in Rev 17:18
Babylon the Great is referred to as the great harlot in Rev 17:1 and Jerusalem is referred to as a harlot in Isaiah 1:21 and we know from passages like Isaiah 40:2 and others that God's judgement will also be upon Jerusalem.
However, once the wrath of God is poured out upon Babylon (Chptrs. 17-18) we are told that "...Babylon, the great city, be thrown down with violence, and will NOT BE FOUND ANY LONGER." Yet, in Isaiah 1:27 and 4:4 we are told that Jerusalem shall be purged and redeemed with judgement. We also know from Zechariah and from within the book of Revelation itself, that Jerusalem will be inhabited again and that the LORD will dwell in Zion/Jerusalem.
After taking a look at all the references throughout scripture, the context of Revelation 16:19 itself becomes clearer. I find within this verse distinguishes "the great city" from "the nations" and from "Babylon the great".
My breakdown is this: - Jerusalem gets split into three parts, yet still remains Jerusalem. - The nations fall (14:8) - Babylon the great given the cup of God's fierce wrath (and then was NO MORE)
I am having some issues with my computer so I hope this reaches you. I have a question about the format of the Bible study. Are we doing a chapter per week or are we doing a Day 1, Day 2,etc? Chapter 1 has Day 1,2,and 3; Chapter 2 has Day 4 and 5; Chapter 3 starts with Day 6. This is quite different from other studies we have done. Please clarify. With love and thanks,
A couple questions (not directly related to this week's study):
ReplyDeleteWhat is your understanding of the timing of the 144,000?
And in Rev. 16:19, what makes you conclude that the great city that is split in three parts is Jerusalem and not Babylon? I think you explained this, but I missed it (thanks Asher). I've got an inkling, but I'd like to see your reasoning.
Hi Cat! How about I try to answer your last question first?
ReplyDeleteThe only way I knew how to determine which city is actually being referred to in Rev 16:19 was to look up every occurrence of the word "city" and the phrase "great city" and "the great city" throughout the Bible, and also take into consideration their context. You might remember the class session when I took everyone through this process and the narrowing down of this term from Genesis to Revelation.
The short version is:
Jerusalem is identified as "the great city" in Rev 11:8 and Babylon is referred to as "that great city" in Rev 17:18
Babylon the Great is referred to as the great harlot in Rev 17:1 and Jerusalem is referred to as a harlot in Isaiah 1:21 and we know from passages like Isaiah 40:2 and others that God's judgement will also be upon Jerusalem.
However, once the wrath of God is poured out upon Babylon (Chptrs. 17-18) we are told that "...Babylon, the great city, be thrown down with violence, and will NOT BE FOUND ANY LONGER."
Yet, in Isaiah 1:27 and 4:4 we are told that Jerusalem shall be purged and redeemed with judgement. We also know from Zechariah and from within the book of Revelation itself, that Jerusalem will be inhabited again and that the LORD will dwell in Zion/Jerusalem.
After taking a look at all the references throughout scripture, the context of Revelation 16:19 itself becomes clearer. I find within this verse distinguishes "the great city" from "the nations" and from "Babylon the great".
My breakdown is this:
- Jerusalem gets split into three parts, yet still remains Jerusalem.
- The nations fall (14:8)
- Babylon the great given the cup of God's fierce wrath (and then was NO MORE)
Thanks Cathie
ReplyDeleteThis actually made more sense to me this time around.
Hi Cathie,
ReplyDeleteI am having some issues with my computer so I hope this reaches you.
I have a question about the format of the Bible study. Are we doing a chapter per week or are we doing a Day 1, Day 2,etc? Chapter 1 has Day 1,2,and 3; Chapter 2 has Day 4 and 5; Chapter 3 starts with Day 6.
This is quite different from other studies we have done.
Please clarify.
With love and thanks,