This is a lesson 10 question: I see that the harlot sits on "many waters" (17:1,15), "on a scarlet beast" (17:3) and "on 7 mountains" (17:9)
I understand that the harlot sits among / in the nations but not sure what it means that she "sits on the beast"(or that the beast carries her - 17:7) or that she sits on seven mountains.
Sits means dwell, occupy - does it mean more than this. Does she dwell or occupy the beast or does it mean she rules the beast?
Good Morning Sally! Everywhere you turn this woman seems to be sitting on something! :)
I'll take the 7 mountains for now (and a little bit of the beast) and if the other girls don't chime in, I'll also add in more regarding the beast.
Verse 10 actually answers the question that verse 9 poses. We'll discuss this more in class, however, the 7 hills are 7 kings. If the woman sits on these 7 kings, and if verse 11 says that the beast is one of these 7 yet considered and eighth... does that help you understand a little bit better as you think it through?
Come on girls, let's keep the discussion going! We only have two more classes before we break for summer, so let's squeeze out as much learning as we can here and in class in the time we have left!
Hi Cathie, My questions are not specific to Lesson 10, more to Lesson 11 but I don't know where else to put it and you said you will find Comments wherever we put them so.....
Rev. 14:19-20 The winepress and all the blood. This sounds like a lot of people were killed by the description of all the blood. Is this referring to a specific event and I am still not sure when it occurs. I have read Isaiah 63 and Joel 3:13 but I am not getting it.
Rev. 19:11-21 Christ returns!!!!! He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood Is this blood from the winepress or .......??? If from the winepress, again, where and when did this happen? The beast and the false prophet and thrown into the lake of fire and all the rest (of the armies?) were killed with the sword which came from Christ and "all the birds were filled with their flesh." Is this Armegeddon or is Rev. 20:8-9 Armegeddon? In Rev.20:9 these people are devoured by the fire that came down from heaven. I feel quite confused by these events.
I have 2 other areas that I am not sure about but maybe there will be more clarity in Revelation Part 3.
1. Exodus 32:32-33 seems to imply that names can be blotted out of the book if they sin against God. Psalm 69:28 seems to imply the same thing. If your name can be blotted out, it would mean that you can lose your salvation, which I do not believe. Any comments?
2. The great white throne is judgement against unbelievers. I am not sure when believers receive their rewards. I remember from a previous Revelation study a discussion about the beama (unsure of the spelling )seat. Is there a time when this occurs?
As you probably won't get this before study tomorrow, you will know that I am not there because of my eye surgery. I won't be able to go on the computer again until Friday or maybe even Saturday. If I was in class, I would have brought my questions up there. I guess I am saying that I am sorry for the long Comment. I will close for now. It is about 11 pm and I have to be at the hospital at 6:45, Love, Jan
Good Morning Jan! Prayed for you first thing this morning and trusting the presence of God to be your peace today and that this surgery will result in His glory and your good! I will try and address your questions as soon as possible... very full day for me today so cannot promise when, but I will get to them! Love you! Cathie
Hi Jan! One of the hardest things about inductive study is learning the technique going extremely slow in order to lay a good foundation of the deeper truths and meanings of the things that we are studying.
The best direction I can give you would be to continue to add to your timeline only those things that are specifically stated (time wise) from the passages that you are studying week by week. Yes, there is the Judgement Seat of Christ (the bema seat) where believers will be judged on the things done in the body, but where their sins are not judged for they have been forgiven in Christ. We can discuss this at our next class if you would like.
The Book of Life contains the names of every person that has been born on the face of this earth since time began. Their names are only blotted out when they fail to receive Christ by faith, whether that faith was from a distance before the cross or since.
Your confusion regarding chapter 19 will clear as we progress on into Part 3! It is so important that I don't just give you quick answers to these queries but rather help you to reason them through over time. It's actually in your frustration and willingness to press on that illumination comes... hang in there! Revelation is a book that cannot be, as you know, just blithely undertaken. It's a book that must be understood by the reader themselves. I am so proud of your leaning in and willingness to study and ask the hard questions!
Remember, just determine those time sequences that are definitely known (the obvious) and little by little those things more obscure will begin to show themselves in their rightful places on your timeline... little bit by little bit, here a little, there a little, line upon line, precept upon precept!
Continuing to pray for you Jan! Bless you and your precious eyes!
This is a lesson 10 question:
ReplyDeleteI see that the harlot sits on "many waters" (17:1,15), "on a scarlet beast" (17:3) and "on 7 mountains" (17:9)
I understand that the harlot sits among / in the nations but not sure what it means that she "sits on the beast"(or that the beast carries her - 17:7) or that she sits on seven mountains.
Sits means dwell, occupy - does it mean more than this. Does she dwell or occupy the beast or does it mean she rules the beast?
Love to hear some feedback
Good Morning Sally! Everywhere you turn this woman seems to be sitting on something! :)
ReplyDeleteI'll take the 7 mountains for now (and a little bit of the beast) and if the other girls don't chime in, I'll also add in more regarding the beast.
Verse 10 actually answers the question that verse 9 poses. We'll discuss this more in class, however, the 7 hills are 7 kings. If the woman sits on these 7 kings, and if verse 11 says that the beast is one of these 7 yet considered and eighth... does that help you understand a little bit better as you think it through?
Come on girls, let's keep the discussion going! We only have two more classes before we break for summer, so let's squeeze out as much learning as we can here and in class in the time we have left!
Will pop in again later this evening Sally!
Hi Cathie,
ReplyDeleteMy questions are not specific to Lesson 10, more to Lesson 11 but I don't know where else to put it and you said you will find Comments wherever we put them so.....
Rev. 14:19-20 The winepress and all the blood. This sounds like a lot of people were killed by the description of all the blood. Is this referring to a specific event and I am still not sure when it occurs. I have read Isaiah 63 and Joel 3:13 but I am not getting it.
Rev. 19:11-21 Christ returns!!!!!
He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood Is this blood from the winepress or .......??? If from the winepress, again, where and when did this happen?
The beast and the false prophet and thrown into the lake of fire and all the rest (of the armies?) were killed with the sword which came from Christ and "all the birds were filled with their flesh." Is this Armegeddon or is Rev. 20:8-9 Armegeddon? In Rev.20:9 these people are devoured by the fire that came down from heaven.
I feel quite confused by these events.
I have 2 other areas that I am not sure about but maybe there will be more clarity in Revelation Part 3.
1. Exodus 32:32-33 seems to imply that names can be blotted out of the book if they sin against God.
Psalm 69:28 seems to imply the same thing.
If your name can be blotted out, it would mean that you can lose your salvation, which I do not believe. Any comments?
2. The great white throne is judgement against unbelievers. I am not sure when believers receive their rewards. I remember from a previous Revelation study a discussion about the beama (unsure of the spelling )seat. Is there a time when this occurs?
As you probably won't get this before study tomorrow, you will know that I am not there because of my eye surgery. I won't be able to go on the computer again until Friday or maybe even Saturday. If I was in class, I would have brought my questions up there. I guess I am saying that I am sorry for the long Comment.
I will close for now. It is about 11 pm and I have to be at the hospital at 6:45,
Love,
Jan
Good Morning Jan! Prayed for you first thing this morning and trusting the presence of God to be your peace today and that this surgery will result in His glory and your good!
ReplyDeleteI will try and address your questions as soon as possible... very full day for me today so cannot promise when, but I will get to them!
Love you!
Cathie
Hi Jan! One of the hardest things about inductive study is learning the technique going extremely slow in order to lay a good foundation of the deeper truths and meanings of the things that we are studying.
ReplyDeleteThe best direction I can give you would be to continue to add to your timeline only those things that are specifically stated (time wise) from the passages that you are studying week by week. Yes, there is the Judgement Seat of Christ (the bema seat) where believers will be judged on the things done in the body, but where their sins are not judged for they have been forgiven in Christ. We can discuss this at our next class if you would like.
The Book of Life contains the names of every person that has been born on the face of this earth since time began. Their names are only blotted out when they fail to receive Christ by faith, whether that faith was from a distance before the cross or since.
Your confusion regarding chapter 19 will clear as we progress on into Part 3! It is so important that I don't just give you quick answers to these queries but rather help you to reason them through over time. It's actually in your frustration and willingness to press on that illumination comes... hang in there! Revelation is a book that cannot be, as you know, just blithely undertaken. It's a book that must be understood by the reader themselves. I am so proud of your leaning in and willingness to study and ask the hard questions!
Remember, just determine those time sequences that are definitely known (the obvious) and little by little those things more obscure will begin to show themselves in their rightful places on your timeline... little bit by little bit, here a little, there a little, line upon line, precept upon precept!
Continuing to pray for you Jan! Bless you and your precious eyes!
with love,
Cathie