Hey, Girls! I wanted to give plenty of room during class for you to come to your conclusions on your own. Having said that, I wanted to give you a short version answer as to why I believe that the Marriage Supper of the Lamb takes place in heaven...
In Rev. 19:6-7 we hear of a great multitude in heaven saying that the "marriage of the Lamb has come..." In Rev. 19:9 it says, "...Blessed are those who are INVITED to the marriage supper of the Lamb..." We know that the description of 'blessed' does NOT refer to the unrighteous but only to the righteous.
During the times of Jesus the Jewish wedding custom had three distinct parts. 1. a marriage contract signed between the parents of the bride and of the bridegroom and a dowry paid to the parents of the bridegroom. 2. when the time came, sometimes years later depending upon the age of the boy and girl, the bridegroom along with his friends would come with torches lit to the house of the bride at midnight. She would have known that he was coming and would be ready to go with him, back to his father's house. 3. The third part was the actual marriage supper. A marriage supper that would go on for one week, 7 days.
I believe that what is represented in John's vision is the third part. As the first two parts (at this point in scripture) have already taken place.
The first part being completed here on earth when we placed our faith in Christ and the dowry that was paid was His shed blood on the cross and the Holy Spirit given, which is a deposit.
The second part, I believe, is the rapture of the Church, when Christ comes for His bride and takes her to His father's house.
The third part is the only part left... the marriage supper of the Lamb.
My take on 'blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb" is that those attending the marriage supper of the Lamb are not only the church (she is the bride after all!) but also the O.T. saints and the martyred dead of the Tribulation.
I'm hoping that the last paragraph will open up some discussion, if you're up to it! ;)
Cathie, I was so sorry I had to leave before things were over on Thursday. Wanted to thank you so much for all your dedication to leading the group - you explain things so well and in such a loving way prodding us along in our walk and always pointing us to Him. I know these words are not enough but I want you to know you are appreciated - imagine a big hug from me.
Just reading and meditating on your comments about the marriage supper of the Lamb. What you said about those who are invited (not just the church) makes so much sense to me - I can't back it up with scripture yet but want to look for it and be open to whatever the truth is on this. I've had a lot of questions about who is where when and who is part of the different events - your thoughts are helpful to start answering some of these wonderings.
Isn't it just the way of things, in that the more we learn the more questions bubble up within us. Sometimes when we are in the thick if study, we tend not to be able to see the forest for the trees. Many times, it's when we are able to step back that we gain the most insight and perspective.
Hey, Girls! I wanted to give plenty of room during class for you to come to your conclusions on your own. Having said that, I wanted to give you a short version answer as to why I believe that the Marriage Supper of the Lamb takes place in heaven...
ReplyDeleteIn Rev. 19:6-7 we hear of a great multitude in heaven saying that the "marriage of the Lamb has come..."
In Rev. 19:9 it says, "...Blessed are those who are INVITED to the marriage supper of the Lamb..."
We know that the description of 'blessed' does NOT refer to the unrighteous but only to the righteous.
During the times of Jesus the Jewish wedding custom had three distinct parts.
1. a marriage contract signed between the parents of the bride and of the bridegroom and a dowry paid to the parents of the bridegroom.
2. when the time came, sometimes years later depending upon the age of the boy and girl, the bridegroom along with his friends would come with torches lit to the house of the bride at midnight. She would have known that he was coming and would be ready to go with him, back to his father's house.
3. The third part was the actual marriage supper. A marriage supper that would go on for one week, 7 days.
I believe that what is represented in John's vision is the third part. As the first two parts (at this point in scripture) have already taken place.
The first part being completed here on earth when we placed our faith in Christ and the dowry that was paid was His shed blood on the cross and the Holy Spirit given, which is a deposit.
The second part, I believe, is the rapture of the Church, when Christ comes for His bride and takes her to His father's house.
The third part is the only part left... the marriage supper of the Lamb.
My take on 'blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb" is that those attending the marriage supper of the Lamb are not only the church (she is the bride after all!) but also
the O.T. saints and the martyred dead of the Tribulation.
I'm hoping that the last paragraph will open up some discussion, if you're up to it! ;)
Cathie,
ReplyDeleteI was so sorry I had to leave before things were over on Thursday. Wanted to thank you so much for all your dedication to leading the group - you explain things so well and in such a loving way prodding us along in our walk and always pointing us to Him. I know these words are not enough but I want you to know you are appreciated - imagine a big hug from me.
Just reading and meditating on your comments about the marriage supper of the Lamb. What you said about those who are invited (not just the church) makes so much sense to me - I can't back it up with scripture yet but want to look for it and be open to whatever the truth is on this. I've had a lot of questions about who is where when and who is part of the different events - your thoughts are helpful to start answering some of these wonderings.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the hug, Sally!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it just the way of things, in that the more we learn the more questions bubble up within us. Sometimes when we are in the thick if study, we tend not to be able to see the forest for the trees. Many times, it's when we are able to step back that we gain the most insight and perspective.
Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday!